Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get the 3 required background checks if I live in Pennsylvania?

  • You can complete the Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Check (SP4-164) ($8 for employees, free for volunteers) online at You will be able to print the results of these clearance immediately after completion.
  • You can complete the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History (CY-113) ($8 for employees, free for volunteers) online application at You will need to create an account. These results will be sent to you within 2-4 weeks.
  • All staff and actively credentialed leaders, as well as volunteers who have not lived in Pennsylvania for the past 10 years, will complete the Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Record Check. All applicants for an FBI check will be required to register on-line at the IdentoGO website:
    1. The first step in the registration process is entering one’s service code to schedule an appointment to have fingerprints taken. The Department of Human Services’ (DHS) service code for Pennsylvania volunteers working with children is 1KG6ZJ. The service code for employees fourteen (14) years old or older who have direct contact with children is 1KG756.
    2. Schedule an appointment for finger printing at a convenient location.
    3. The cost of the FBI check is $23.85, payable at the time of fingerprinting.
    4. IdentoGO’s Pennsylvania page lists fingerprint locations currently open in three locations in Lancaster County (550 S. Reading Road, Ephrata, 10 S. Market Street, Elizabethtown and 888 Millersville Road, Lancaster).

Who needs the FBI Fingerprint Record Check?

All Actively Credentialed Leaders by ACC (including those without charge), as well as volunteers to ACC youth events who have not lived in Pennsylvania for 10 years must complete the FBI Fingerprint Record Check. Those volunteers who have lived in PA for 10 years must submit a signed statement to their church that they are exempt from this requirement as a result of the necessary term of residence.

More information on PA Child Abuse Certification Requirements

I’m a credentialed leader but don’t live or work in Pennsylvania. What is required of me?

We are asking credentialed leaders from non-PA states to complete  the ACC Child Safety Affirmation Statement (ESP) in place of the three clearances required of Pennsylvania residents. This is due to the fact that not all states have the same clearances available to their residents.

Can I use the clearances I get for employment for volunteering purposes?

Yes. But the opposite is not true. Clearances obtained for volunteer purposes cannot be used for employment.

Also, background clearances obtained for employment can be used for multiple jobs and volunteer assignments. Background checks obtained for volunteer purposes can be used for multiple volunteer services.

How often do I need to renew my clearances?

The time period was extended so that now clearances only have to be renewed every five years instead of every three years. However, credentialed leaders of ACC will need to have their clearances updated every three years along with the conference’s recredentialing cycle. This process will take place again in the summer of 2019.